eCommerce is one of the most effective ways to make money online. Compared to other eCommerce websites, Best items to sell Amazon offers the best potential profits, especially for new sellers. Starting out on Amazon helps you generate more sales faster, since buyers tend to trust Amazon more than other platforms.
Now you may be wondering what you should sell on Amazon. While this marketplace offers great potential, it doesn’t mean you can list just any product and expect to see instant sales. In order to find success on Amazon, you need to find the right products to sell. This will ensure that your items are always in demand, and that each sale results in a profit.
Table of contents
- How to Find Top-Selling Products to Sell on Amazon
- Which Amazon Product Categories Are the Best?
- What to Look for When Searching For the Best Product to Sell on Amazon
- 5 Examples of Good Selling Products
- Tips for Sourcing and Buying Products to Sell
In this post, we’ll break down what types of things to look for in best-selling Amazon products and categories, so you can figure out the best things to sell on Amazon in 2023.
How to Find Top-Selling Products to Sell on Amazon
How do you find best selling products within all categories on Amazon? There are a variety of approaches you can take. Among these different options, using Amazon product research software is generally the most effective.
There are several reasons for this. First of all, product research software gives you real data for current Amazon products. It also helps you analyze the competition to see if a product is in a good niche.
1. Validate Demand and Competition With the AMZScout PRO Extension
First, you’ll need to validate the level of demand and competition for your product’s niche ideas, or for some other popular products on the marketplace. A product may be the ideal size and have strong trends, but if the market is saturated, you’ll have a tough time generating a profit. With the AMZScout PRO Extension, you can gain deep insight into the level of demand and competition for any product category.
Below are the steps for using the PRO Extension to help you analyze any niche:
1. Install the AMZScout PRO Extension and start your free trial.
2. Once it’s installed, you’ll see the AMZScout icon in the top corner of your browser.
3. Search Amazon for product ideas. Enter products from the list of potential items that you found from your supplier or any other additional products you’d like to sell. You can also open Amazon selections (like the “Best Sellers” page, or “Movers and Shakers”).
4. Open the Extension. When the results load, click the AMZScout icon in the upper right or lower left corner of your browser. The app will then populate the data.
5. Review the dashboard. Once it loads, the app will show you sales data for the top products in that niche. This data will include data on sales and prices for each product, as well as FBA fees and the number of other sellers. You’ll also find additional metrics, including the product’s net profit margin.
6. Review the niche’s historical performance. Check the Niche Score and Niche History to see the niche’s trends. The Niche Score gives you an overall score for the niche’s viability, on a scale from 1-10. This score factors in demand, competition, and overall profitability. The Niche History shows you how interest in that niche is trending over time.
7. Find the highest potential products. Lastly, you’ll want to look at the historical performance of the most interesting items. To do this, select “Product History” to see the historical data for any individual item. This will reveal how the product’s price, best sellers rank, and sales have changed over time.
This method can help sellers make more informed decisions by providing real-time pricing data and competitor analysis for any products on the platform. If you’re not sure which products to start with, try the next tool to help you generate a list of potential product ideas.
Find profitable products with the AMZScout PRO ExtensionTRY FOR FREE
2. Explore Product Ideas Using the AMZScout Product Database
The AMZScout Product Database contains robust product data for hundreds of millions of items on Amazon. With this tool, you can easily identify the most profitable products to sell on the marketplace. Here’s how you can use it for product research:
1. Begin by opening the AMZScout Product Database. Log in with your AMZScout account or enter your email for a free trial.
2. Enter your product criteria by using the search filters. You will find filters for sales, size, price, ratings, and more. You can also enter specific keywords into the search field, or, you can use one of the ready-made filter sets from the Product Selections feature.
3. Refine your search. You can narrow your results even more by selecting the box for New Products. This will make it so you only see items added in the last two weeks. You can also check the Trending Products box to only see trending items – these will include only those items that have seen a 20% increase in sales over the past three months.
4. Select “Find Products” to see your results, once you’ve set your filters and entered all of your criteria.
5. Create a list of the most interesting items. Select the products that best match your criteria. Pay attention to the ratio of sales to the number of sellers, and also the ratio of FBA fees to price.
Now you’ve discovered some great choices from millions of Amazon products. This can cut down on research time and help you select items that are likely to be successful.
Brainstorm New Niche and Product Ideas with the Product DatabaseTRY FOR FREE
3. Use Existing YouTube Videos and Blogs
If you want to explore another way to find the best things for Amazon, take a look at YouTube videos, blogs, and other online content. Many successful sellers create videos and post content to these platforms to teach beginners easy ways to find things to sell.
Many successful sellers also share their experiences through webinars, where you can learn about new ways to find products and other ideas for your business. The best thing about attending a webinar is you have the opportunity to ask any questions you have.
Additionally, articles like this give you a condensed list of the top selling items on Amazon. While you’ll still want to conduct your research to ensure that these options are a good fit for your business, these places are a great starting point to help you get new ideas.
Which Amazon Product Categories are the Best?
By now, it should be clear that each product’s category matters just as much as the item itself. Certain niches are more profitable than others. Plus, some categories are restricted, meaning you’re required to obtain extra approval before you can sell these items. These include certain products like fine art, subscription boxes, postage stamps, and movies.
So which categories should you focus on? Below, you’ll find product categories that include some of the best items to sell on Amazon:
- Baby Products
- Beauty & Personal care
- Clothing & Shoes
- Home & Kitchen
- Pet Supplies
- Sports & Outdoors
- Toys & Games
- Lawn and Garden
This is backed up by results from a Statista survey, where these categories are at the top among Amazon’s small and medium-sized businesses.
Now, this doesn’t mean you can’t have success selling in other categories. However, the categories listed above are generally the safest place to begin your search, given how many consistent sales they tend to generate over time. Whether or not you go with one of these niches, it’s a good idea to choose a niche that you’re interested in.
What to Look for When Searching For the Best Product to Sell on Amazon
A big part of knowing how to research products is to understand important criteria. Below are key areas you need to pay attention to before you settle on a product.
1. Product Condition
While often overlooked, an item’s condition is the first thing you should look at before you start selling it. Amazon isn’t just home to new inventory, as you can find a variety of used and handmade items there as well. A product’s condition will affect its position in the market, and its appeal to customers.
New Products: Most of the items listed on Amazon are new. This means they haven’t been used or owned by anyone else. Most people who search for something on Amazon are looking for new items, so these items naturally have the highest demand.
Used Products: These include any items that aren’t new, meaning they’ve been owned in some form by someone else. This could be a homemade or vintage item that you typically find at garage sales or on an auction site, like eBay. It could also mean a previously new Amazon product that was returned by the buyer. Used inventory has lower demand and naturally commands a lower price. However, they are the cheapest items to source.
2. Product Size
The next factor to consider when looking for a product to sell on Amazon is each item’s physical size. It’s usually best to avoid large items. Instead, it’s best to focus on items that are small and lightweight. Doing so comes with several advantages:
- Cheaper to Buy: Smaller items are usually less expensive as compared with larger stock. This means you can source them at a low cost, allowing you to start your business with a minimal investment.
- Cheaper to Ship: The smaller an item is, the less it will cost to ship. So sourcing smaller items is another way to lower your upfront costs, especially if you are importing your inventory from an international supplier.
- Lower Fees: If you use the Amazon FBA fulfillment program or partner with another third-party logistics provider, you’ll have to pay for the company to store and ship your goods. Because smaller items incur lower shipping and storage fees, they also lead to lower fulfillment costs.
So even if you find a larger item with good potential, you still need to carefully calculate your estimated fulfillment fees. Keep in mind that having a high net profit margin depends just as much on minimizing costs as it does on having a high sales price.
3. Product Price
While profit margin is more important than a product’s sales price, the latter should still be taken into consideration. A product’s price generally correlates with its overall demand.
Lower priced items tend to see more sales than higher priced ones. For example, a $20 smartphone case will generate more sales than a $300 bed frame.
As a general rule, try to look for items that retail between $15-100. These prices are high enough to generate consistent sales, but not so low as to limit the amount of profit you earn per sale.
5 Examples of Good Selling Products in 2023
Most often, the best things to successfully sell on Amazon are in the Home & Kitchen, Beauty, Pet Supplies, Baby Products, or Electronics categories. Below, you’ll find a few examples of products that are performing well in 2023, based on our research.
1. Toddler Carrier Sling
This product is among the most profitable in the Baby niche, with $48,000 in monthly revenue. These products are priced at just above $40, creating a healthy profit margin. They also receive an average review count of above 600 with an average ranking of 13,000, making them fairly popular.
Check the source for the most up-to-date information.
2. Face Mask Maker Machine
The face mask maker machine is priced at $43.93, with an average potential revenue of $9,000. Many entry-level sellers of this product make at least $2,000/month in profits, with a small number of reviews.
3. Affirmation Cards
These cards result in average monthly earnings over $8,000 with a price of just above $12. Because they are lightweight, the product has low-cost shipping. Selling Affirmation cards is a simple way to get started on Amazon.
4. Kids Cooking and Baking Set
The kids cooking and baking set generates an average of $23,000/month and attracts an average of more than 1,000 reviews. This popularity means that many new sellers can easily enter the Toys niche, which presents many opportunities.
5. Dog Buttons
The pet button social media trend has created a popular niche with over $12,000 in monthly revenues. The average price of these buttons is about $36, creating a healthy potential profit margin for new entries.
If you want to have individual product ideas selected for you quickly, based on your criteria, without wasting your time for research, you can get help from experienced researchers.
Tips for Sourcing and Buying Products to Sell
Here are some extra tips for finding stuff you can sell on Amazon:
How to Source Your Products
With a better understanding of what makes a great product, you’re likely wondering what is the best way to obtain these items. There are several effective options:
Dropshipping: With this sourcing method, you don’t actually buy or store any inventory yourself. Instead, you partner with a supplier and list it on Amazon. When any item is sold, you will then order it from the supplier and have them ship it straight to the customer. This method is great if you’re a seller who wants to get started, but you don’t have a lot of money to invest.
Wholesale: With wholesaling, you buy items in bulk from a supplier at discounted prices. This allows you to resell them for a profit. This method is a fast way to find good items, but you will need to invest more upfront in order to buy them. Plus, many wholesale suppliers also have minimum order requirements.
Private Label: With private label selling, you have a manufacturer or supplier design a unique product that you can sell under your own brand. This is another method that requires you to buy in bulk. However, it also enables you to develop and sell a custom product that is better than the competition.
Retail Arbitrage: With arbitrage, you buy items for a relatively cheap price at a store (like Walmart). You then sell them at a higher price on Amazon. This might be the simplest sourcing method, but it can be hard to see high sales numbers this way. Additionally, many of the common items you find in physical stores or on the internet are also sold by the manufacturer on Amazon. This means it can be challenging to find good items with a profitable gap in prices.
Ultimately, the best sourcing method for you will depend on your individual budget and business plan. Be sure to consider the pros and cons of each method to find the best option for you.
Where to Buy Items for Selling on Amazon
Now that you know the most common sourcing methods, you need to find the best place to go for your goods. Here are some of the best options:
Alibaba: Alibaba is a widely popular online sourcing site. It is a great place to find both wholesale and private label items. Many suppliers have minimum order quantities, but you can request free quotes and oftentimes you can negotiate lower requirements and prices.
AliExpress: AliExpress is a sister site of Alibaba. The difference is that it is designed more for consumers. But, pretty much all of the suppliers here offer dropshipping services, making it a great choice if you use this sourcing method.
Brick and Mortar Stores: Physical stores are where you can find arbitrage items for resale on Amazon. Try to find items sold in bulk or with a promotional offer. Keep in mind that you’ll need to limit the number of dollars you spend if you want to make a profit this way.
Other Online Marketplaces: Online markets like eBay are other options for finding low-priced items that can be sold for a higher cost on Amazon.
Garage Sales: If you want to sell used or homemade items, garage sales can be a great place to find products. Many garage sellers are simply looking to get rid of things, so you can often find undervalued items at a great price.
Obviously, these aren’t the only places to go for your inventory. There are many other wholesale sites, and you can always partner with suppliers and manufacturers directly. Just like identifying the right product to sell, finding the best place to get it will require research on your part.
Deciding what product to sell is one of the most integral parts of any successful Amazon business. Without a good product, even the best strategies and most effective marketing techniques will make little difference. With this guide, you now know what to look for in a top-selling product on Amazon. If you follow the tips in this post and utilize these tools from AMZScout, you’ll have no trouble finding a winning item for your business.